Campus Partnerships and Engagement
Learn about the ways that the Counseling Center has partnered across campus to create a culture of wellness and inclusivity at the University of Maryland and participate in campus initiatives aligned with the University’s mission.
The Mental Health Coalition, chaired by Counseling Center staff, brings together students and staff who share a passion for mental health advocacy and a commitment to furthering the mental health and well-being of our community. The Coalition provides collaborative leadership in fostering a culture of mental health and wellness inclusive to the entire campus community through broad communication, campus-wide programming, and advocacy. We actively attend to the mental wellbeing of the campus community through three different mechanisms:
- Communication - engaging the campus community in mental-health oriented messaging.
- Programming - implementing large-scale, inclusive programs to raise awareness about the importance of mental wellness and engage the campus in practicing activities that improve mental health.
- Advocacy - advocating for campus policies that have a positive impact, both directly and indirectly, on mental wellbeing.
The Coalition meets regularly to discuss ways we can utilize communication, programming, and advocacy to improve the campus culture of mental health as well as to collaboratively develop, organize, and implement initiatives in service of this goal. Our group is open to new members and seeks members who are committed to actively participating in the group, which involves engagement in the development, planning, and implementation of campus-wide initiatives and programs.
The Counseling Center Student Advisory Board (CCSAB) serves as a formal avenue for communication between the UMD student body and Counseling Center. The board consists of student representatives who meet monthly with Counseling Center leadership to review mental health resources available to students and contribute to the implementation of productive changes at the Counseling Center. Additionally, the CCSAB, in collaboration with the Counseling Center, assesses the campus mental health climate and coordinates initiatives for resource promotion. The CCSAB and the Counseling Center welcome input from the student body on the services provided by the Counseling Center.
The Counseling Center has traditionally provided enrichment seminars for its staff and the UMD Community from experts on a variety of topics considered instrumental in increasing the breadth of knowledge of the Counseling Center staff. Topics often incorporate research in mental health, education, and identity. R&D seminars are held during the Fall and Spring semesters. To obtain a schedule of dates and topics for the current semester, please contact the Counseling Center.
Delta Alpha Pi (DAPi) is an academic honor society that recognizes high-achieving students with disabilities who are attending colleges and universities as undergraduate or graduate students. The Accessibility and Disability Service became a member of DAPi in 2014 by establishing Gamma Rho, a campus chapter of the society. ADS staff currently serve in the faculty advisor role for this chapter. DAPi celebrates and supports academic achievement, leadership and advocacy for post-secondary students with disabilities.
The Counseling Center is proud to support the sustainability mission of the University of Maryland and the Division of Student Affairs. Among our contributions are:
- The Counseling Center was awarded a sustainability grant to improve opportunities for pollinators in the area adjacent to Shoemaker Building, where the Counseling Center is located.
- The Counseling Center participates in the Green Office program. Offices within the Counseling Center have achieved either bronze or silver status.
When you visit the Counseling Center, please take advantage of several amenities reflecting our support of the University’s sustainability efforts:
- a water bottle refill station
- recycling bins
- bike racks located near Shoemaker Building and covered bike storage in nearby Mowatt Lane garage