If you or someone you know is experiencing a life-threatening mental health emergency, call 911 or go to the nearest hospital emergency room.
Counseling Center Urgent Visit
During regular business hours, students experiencing an urgent crisis can request to be seen for an urgent visit at the Counseling Center. Urgent visits are unscheduled same-day appointments in which Counseling Service staff evaluate the student’s current functioning and nature of concerns and help the student problem-solve and determine the next steps. To request an urgent visit, please stop by the Counseling Center reception desk on the main level of the Shoemaker Building. To schedule a non-urgent appointment, also known as a brief assessment, please call the Counseling Center at (301) 314-7651.
Counseling Center After-Hours Crisis Support
Phone: (301) 314-7651
The Counseling Center offers after-hours crisis support to any UMD student or any person concerned about a UMD student. Professional mental health counselors are available when the Counseling Center is closed to assist callers with mental health crises. Counselors also can provide information about the Counseling Center or other campus resources. When appropriate, Counseling Center staff will follow up with the caller on the next business day.
Additional After Hour Resources
- University of Maryland Police
- UMPD Non-Emergency Number and Police Escort Service
- UMD C.A.R.E to Stop Violence 24-Hour Sexual Assault Hotline
- National Suicide and Crisis Lifeline
- Trevor Project LGBTQ+ Youth Crisis Line
Other Campus Resources
- University Health Center
- Behavioral Health Service in the Health Center
- HELP Center (peer to peer support)
(301) 314-HELP (4357)
- Campus Chaplains
- Behavioral and Threat Assessment Team (BETA)
(301) 314-BETA (2382)
- Undergraduate Admissions
(301) 314-8385 or 1-800-422-5867