Students can meet individually with our dedicated academic skills coaches to learn how to:
- Understand themselves as learners.
- Manage their time and the demands of their courses.
- Apply efficient learning strategies.
- Develop effective study plans.
- Improve the results of their study efforts.
Students can also participate in a formal academic coaching program, My Academic Plan (MAP). Students who participate in the MAP Coaching program will map out what is needed for their academic success and develop a specific plan for reaching their goals.
A MAP Coaching Program student will:
- Determine why you are in college, your academic experiences, and available resources;
- Identify your academic strengths and areas of growth;
- Complete a learning skills inventory and discuss the result with your MAP Coach;
- Develop a plan for meeting with your Academic Advisor;
- Develop a plan for meeting with your instructors; and
- Develop measurable goals related to your academic success
A 3-session minimum is required to participate in the MAP Coaching Program.
To make an appointment, visit our office, call us at (301) 314-7693, or schedule an online appointment. View the appointments page for detailed instructions.
PAL Academic Success Groups
Peer Assisted Learning Academic Success Groups are peer led sessions that provide strategies for academic success. Topics include time management and learning strategies.
Sessions are held February 12 & 23, March 9 & 29, and April 13 & 23 from 12:00 p.m. - 1:00 p.m. (time management) and 1:00 p.m - 2:00 p.m. (learning strategies) in 2202 Shoemaker. No advance sign up is required. You may attend one, two, or all the sessions.
For more details please view the PDF flyer (pdf) .